Traveling by road in the area in the 17th century was difficult. Most settlements were centered around waterways which were the most efficient way to travel. Early settlements centered around the Crum and Ridley Creeks were known as Providence Township which was comprised of today’s Nether Providence Township, Rose Valley Borough, Media Borough, and Upper Providence Township. Upper Providence separated from Nether Providence in 1687.
On October 17, 1683 the residents of Providence Township petitioned the Court Of Chester County which sat in the City of Chester to establish a road from Providence to Chester City. The request was approved and the road built was known as the Providence Great Road. Today the road is still in use and we know it as Route 252, or Providence Road.
Did you know that in 1701 the Court approved another Providence Road? This road ran from Philadelphia through Darby and Nether Providence Township and points west. Locally the name was changed to Plush Mill Road. In Secane and Aldan it is still known as Providence Road.
There are two stone mile markers on Providence Road still standing in Nether Providence Township which were put in place during a 1763-1764 road survey. One stands near the Furness Library and read “4 M To C” – 4 miles to Chester, and the other one pictured above is located on S Providence Road just south of the entrance to Mallard Mill Run and it reads:
To Chester 2 Miles
Wallingford PA Real Estate – Wallingford, PA 19086